SharePoint Server 2016 Installation step by step
I have completed a Single-Server installation of SharePoint Server 2016 with Database server on a separate machine in the domain. I am sharing the installation details here which can be helpful for many who are new to SharePoint. The installation is similar to the older versions of SharePoint except MinRoleTopolgy which is introduced for the first time in SharePoint 2016.
I have used the below hardware and software configuration for my current installation.
|Database Server||64-bit, 4 cores||8-24 GB||80 GB for system drive100 GB for second drive and additional drives|
|SharePoint Server||64-bit, 4 cores||8-12 GB||80 GB for system drive80 GB for second drive|
|Database Server||Windows Server 2012 R2 – with latest updates||SQL Server 2014 with SP1 – x64|
|SharePoint Server||Windows Server 2012 R2 – with latest updates||SharePoint Server|
The SharePoint Server 2016 prerequisite installer (prerequisiteinstaller.exe) installs the following software if it has not already been installed on the target server, in the following order:
- Application Server Role, Web Server (IIS) Role
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP1 Native Client
- Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server
- Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 SP1 (x64)
- Windows Server AppFabric 1.1
- Windows Identity Foundation (KB974405)
- Microsoft Information Protection and Control Client 2.1
- Microsoft WCF Data Services 5.6
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6
- Cumulative Update Package 7 for Microsoft AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server (KB 3092423)
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2012
- Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2015
It is highly recommended to use the different service account with least-privilege to install and configure the SharePoint. This will enhance the security of the farm. As we are going to install Single-Server farm, we, at least, need 2 accounts (SQLAdmin, SPFarm).
|Name||Description||Local Rights||Domain Rights|
|SQL_Admin||The SQL Server service account is used to run SQL Server. It is the service account for the following SQL Server services: MSSQLSERVER SQLSERVERAGENT. SQL Administrator on the SQL Server||Local Administrator on the SQL Server||Domain User|
|SP_Farm||The server farm account is used to perform the following tasks:
SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard
Configure and manage the server farm.
Act as the application pool identity for the SharePoint Central Administration Web site.
Run the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Workflow Timer Service.
|Local Administrator on all the SharePoint Servers. SecurityAdmin and DB_Creator rights on the SQL Instance||Domain User|
|SP_Pool||The Pool account is used to run the Web Application Pools||None||Domain User|
|SP_Services||The Services Account is used to run the Service Application Pool||None||Domain User|
|SP_Crawl||The Default Content Access Account for the Search Service Application||None||Domain User|
|SP_UserProfiles||The User Profile Synchronization Account||None||Replicate Directory Changes permission on the domain|
|SP_Search||Service Account to run the SharePoint Search “Windows Service”.||None||Domain User|
Single Server Installation
Before processed with installation, please make sure the:
- SQL Server Installed (SQL server 2014 SP1 x64).
- Windows server 2012 R2 x64.
- Make sure it is clean installation (fresh OS).
- You have the installation Media ready (downloaded on the one of Server’s drive or CD/DVD).
- Product Key for the SharePoint Server 2016.
- The account which will be used during the Installation should have the proper permission.
- Disk Drive space meet the minimum requirement.
- Max degree of Parallelism set to 1 on the SQL Server.
- Server has access to Internet
- Disable the Anti-Virus during installation and configuration.
- Make Sure Firewall is not blocking
On the Splash Screen, Click on the Install SharePoint Server.
Now put the SharePoint Server 2016 Key( the key showed below is the Trial Key.). Click Continue.
Now Accept the Software Terms and click Continue.
On this screen, you can mention the location of the SharePoint Installation. Click Install Now.
this will start the installation of SharePoint.
Once its Installed successfully you will get this.
Configure the SharePoint Server
- Click on the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard.
- On the Welcome to SharePoint Products Page, click Next.
Click Yes on the Warning Page.
Connect to Server Farm Screen, Please Click the Create a new Server Farm Radio Button and Click Next.
Database Server Name
Database Name( Name of the Configuration Database)
UserName In the following format: domain\UserName ( this should your farm admin account)
- Password for the account
Please Specify the Passphrase ( write it down to some safe place, you need it if new server joins to the farm).Click next.
New MinRole feature in SharePoint 2016, As this is Single Server farm Configuration, please select Single server farm and click Next.
Please specify the Port Number for the Central Admin website and click next.
On this page, please review the configuration and click next.
Now It will start configuring the SharePoint.
Finally, you will get this successful screen.
SharePoint Configuration Wizard
Once you Click on the Finish Button, This will Launch the Central admin with SharePoint Configuration Wizard.
Please select the appropriate options as I selected No and Click OK.
On Welcome screen You have two options either use the wizard and configure the Service Application or Say No(Cancel) and do it everything Later. Click On the Start The Wizard.
Use the existing account, then check service applications you would like configure and then click Next.
During this process, it will create a New Web Application on Port and ask you to create the root site collection. You can Skip this and complete the Initial Setup.
This will complete the SharePoint Installation and Configuration
It is not over, still you can use the SharePoint and start adding the content, But it is highly recommended to complete the following steps.
- Configure incoming e-mail
- Configure diagnostic logging
- Configure usage and health data collection
- Configure Search settings
- Configure the Workflow Manager
- Exclude the SharePoint Folders from the Anti-Virus